The Stanford Web Services team appreciates at least a two week advanced notice for launching sites, and aims to launch sites Tuesdays through Thursdays. Note: During peak periods, some dates may not be available.
Pre-launch content review
- Have you renamed/removed all placeholder content/pages that aren’t relevant to your site?
- Have you hidden all blocks that aren’t relevant for your site?
- Do your homepage and footer blocks have the correct content in them?
- Have you replaced all the placeholder images for your site?
- Do your images all have descriptive alternative text (“alt text”)?
- Do your “Read More” links all point to the correct pages, and do those target pages have the correct content in them?
- Have you checked your menu links to ensure they are all correct?
- Is your content ready to be “frozen” for the duration of the launch process?
- Have you had your content reviewed by another member of your department?
- Does your site need to be approved by anyone other than yourself before launching?
- Do you need to create redirects for any specific pages from your old existing website (if applicable)?
- Have you set up a vanity URL (e.g. http://mysite.stanford.edu ) if one does not already exist (Note: SWS will handle the switchover for you once your site is ready to launch)?
- Have you configured Google Analytics for your new site?
- Have you archived your analytics data for your old site (if applicable)?
- Have you determined what you would like to do with your old website? Do you want to have it archived in any way?
- Have you prepared any necessary communications for post-launch of your site?
Ready to launch
When you are ready to launch your site, click the Ready to Launch? link from the Site Actions toolbar. From the Launch Checklist page, review the checklist items. Once you have reviewed each of the checklist items, click the Request Site Launch button. Fill out the site launch form and submit the information. An SWS team member will reach out to you to coordinate the site launch details.