The Stanford Carousel feature includes display options for slides in your site.
Site owners can add, edit, and delete any slide in the carousel. Editors can only add and edit any slide.
Creating a slide
Before starting, be sure to know the values for each of the fields listed in Stanford Slide.
- From the Site Actions menu, select Add Slide.
- In the Title field, add the slide title.
- In the Image section, click Add/Edit image text to open the image tab. For more instructions on how to add an image, see Add a featured image.
- Add Alternate text. (Alternate text is displayed when the image cannot be viewed; this is required to meet Stanford's accessibility standards for people with disabilities. All images should have meaningful alt text. This is because they are hyperlinks, so screenreaders (particularly JAWS) will not skip over the images, even with an alt="" attribute. Instead, JAWS reads "filename.jpg".)
- In the Slideshow Settings section, enter the Caption Color, Caption Position - Horizontal, Caption Position - Vertical, and optional category tag.
- Enter a Weight number to set a slide order. Smaller numbers are towards the beginning and larger numbers are towards the end.
- Check the Featured checkbox if you want this slide to display in the carousel.
- Click Save.
Updating a slide
You have several avenues for finding and editing slides. If you find the slide you may see an Edit link which will direct you to the node edit page for that slide.
Searching for slides
- From the Site Actions menu, select Manage Content.
- In the Manage Content by Type section, click the Manage Slides link.
- From this page, you can find all the slides. You can sort many of the columns by clicking on the header title, or search using the filters.
- From the Manage Slides page, click edit for the slide you want to change.
- Update/enter values as described under Creating a slide.
Bulk editing slides
- From the Manage Slides page, click the checkboxes to select mulitple slides you want to change.
- Click the Choose an operation arrow to choose an operation (e.g., Delete, Modify, Publish, Unpublish).
- Update the slide fields and confirm the changes.
Deleting a slide
You can either unpublish the slide to keep it on the site just not viewable or you can completely delete the slide. If you delete the slide, this is not reversible.
- To unpublish a slide: From the Manage Slides page, click edit for the slide you want to unpublish. In the Publishing options horizontal tab, uncheck the Published status then click Save.
- To delete a slide: From the Manage Slides page, click delete for the slide you want to delete. Note: This may also be done using Bulk Operations.
Stanford slides fields
||The slide title.
||Upload a png, gif, jpg or jpeg file to the site. The image field also includes optional image credits, source info, and caption information.
||URL link to the page in your website.
||Customize caption color and position; set slide order using the weight field; featured checkbox to display slide in carousel.
||Based on Slide Category taxonomy terms to determine where a slide is placed (used for sites with multiple carousels).
||Based on a carousel with multiple slides, this field determines sorting order.
||Determine whether or not a slide should appear in the slideshow (used for timely slides in a carousel).